Web Development Intern/Apprentice
I’m a freelance web developer working to build a small network of developers to collaborate with on client projects. I’d like to support others who love making websites but don’t always feel at home in a traditional agency environment.
If you’re looking to gain some experience and grow your career, but haven’t yet gotten your foot in the door, this is for you. If you’ve already gotten through the door but want to expand your skillset or make the shift to freelance, this is also for you.
Requirements to Apply
- identify as woman, non-binary, and/or femme.
- identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or POC
- basic HTML & CSS knowledge
- examples of previous work
- basic experience using git
There is no requirement for age, education level, or immigration status.
Those from (or currently residing in) the 02908 or 02909 zip codes are especially encouraged to apply (this is for a community-building grant I’ve applied for).
- 8 hours per week
- $160 per week, paid once every two weeks
- 2-3 months (July, August, and/or September)
- Wednesday and Friday afternoons
- Location: My office on the West Side of Providence. The office has free parking and is a second-floor walk-up.
All of the above are a suggestion. I’m flexible. Let’s figure out an arrangement that works for both of us.
- WordPress Development: contributing to custom themes and page templates
- UX Design: creating or editing wireframes or prototypes; usability research
- Content Entry: copy content from documents, spreadsheets, emails, etc. into a content management system (CMS)
- Quality Assurance Testing: test websites in various web browsers and devices to identify bugs
- Project Management: learn professional PM tools; take notes in meetings
This program is tailored to your own goals, skillset, and interests! The type of work may also vary depending on what projects I have available at the time.
Check out examples of the type of projects you might be working on here.
There is a possibility to be promoted to a Junior Developer position at the end of the program.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter with 1-3 examples of previous work, and a code sample or link to Github account, to email@example.com with the subject line “Web Development Intern”.
Hi! I am a freelance web developer and designer with 10 years of professional experience in the field, and have been coding for nearly 20. I identify as a queer white person of Italian descent. I’ve worked at several agencies and with clients of all kinds, with a focus on local small businesses and non-profits. Read more about some of my work here.
- she/her -or- they/them